How Bad Are Accidents in the Williamsport Area?
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1,286 people died in Pennsylvania car crashes in 2011 alone. In Williamsport, your chances of getting into a fatal accident are even worse than in the rest of Pennsylvania — according to City-Data.com, Williamsport has a higher percentage of traffic accidents per 100,000 population than the rest of Pennsylvania.
In 2014 in Williamsport, there were three fatal accidents and four vehicles involved in fatal accidents. Fatal accidents occurred in these locations:
- March 22, 2014, on W. Fourth Street, involving one vehicle and a drunken driver
- January 12, 2014, on Third and Railway Streets, involving two vehicles
- December 27, 2014, on Sr-2014 Fourth Street, involving one vehicle and a drunken driver.
In 2016, in Lycoming County, two men were killed by a car while changing a flat tire on route 220, and a husband and wife were killed and their son injured in a single-vehicle crash into a tree off Dewey Ave.
Common Causes of Accidents
Our lawyers have successfully represented clients in car and truck accident cases of all kinds. The most common causes include:
- Accidents involving road rage, and drivers who speed, tailgate, drive recklessly or carelessly
- Crashes involving drivers who run red lights or stop signs, make illegal turns or unsafe lane changes, or commit other moving violations
- Drunk and drugged driving accidents.
What to Do if Injured in a Vehicle Accident?
When an accident happens in Lycoming County, you should immediately do the following:
- Remain at the crash scene.
- Check on the condition of all people involved in the crash.
- Call the police.
- Exchange information with other drivers.
- Get contact information from witnesses.
- Inform your insurance company and request a claim number. In Pennsylvania, your own insurance company pays your medical and prescription expenses up to the limit of your policy, usually $5,000 or $10,000. Your health insurance is then responsible for additional medical expenses.
- Get appropriate medical treatment, and keep track of the details – doctors visited, dates, diagnosis, etc.
- Take photos of vehicle damage and injuries.
Dealing with doctors, repair shops, car rental companies, police, and insurance companies is overwhelming, especially when someone is seriously injured. At this point, a personal injury attorney can handle the details and paperwork to ensure that they are done correctly and in a timely manner, so that you can focus on recovery.
Contact Us For Help and a Free Consultation
If you or your loved ones have been in a serious crash, help is available from the experienced and compassionate Williamsport personal injury attorneys at Rieders, Travis, Dohrmann, Mowrey, Humphrey & Waters. We understand the local regulations and legal standards, know how insurance policies work, and can handle all aspects of an insurance claim. If a death is involved, we will launch seek financial restitution for the family members left behind.
The attorneys of Rieders, Travis, Dohrmann, Mowrey, Humphrey & Waters have spent decades honing their skills and successfully representing Pennsylvania families who have suffered an injury or loss due to someone else’s negligence. We offer personal attention and loyalty to every client, aggressively fighting for their right to compensation. Our deep sense of loyalty to each client drives us to pursue each claim vigorously. Whether in settlement negotiations or pursuing a favorable trial verdict, we are thoroughly prepared and committed to achieving a just outcome.
If you have been in an accident, time is of the essence, so do not delay. We offer a free consultation, so call (570) 323-8711 or by using our online contact form. Based in Williamsport, we serve clients throughout the state of Pennsylvania, offering a free consultation on all injury matters. More than that, we offer you experience, knowledge, compassion, and a long history of results.