THERE ARE A VARIETY OF WAYS TO HANDLE PHARMACEUTICAL CASES
Some are brought as individual cases, while others are multidistrict cases or class actions. Precisely how a case is handled depends upon the facts of each case and the basis of liability. We monitor activity of the Food & Drug Administration and other agencies. Many times, manufacturers simply fail to provide information to federal approving authorities, and other times the information is even false or misleading. There may be claims based upon the safety of the drug, the nature of the warnings, or possibly even the marketing of the drug. Each case is different and must be individually considered on its facts. Our law firm considers all pharmaceutical and drug-related cases, as well as medical device cases. Currently our drug litigation lawyers are concentrating on the following dangerous drugs:
- Testosterone Claims: Testosterone replacement therapies such as AndroGel, Axiron, Testim or AndroDerm can potentially be linked to heart attack, stroke and pulmonary embolism.
- Byetta Claims: For millions of Americans with Type 2 diabetes, Byetta is an injectable drug that is prescribed to lower blood glucose levels. Unfortunately, recent studies have linked Byetta to conditions such as pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer.
- Januvia Claims: Januvia is a medication commonly prescribed for Type 2 diabetes. It has recently been linked to pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer.
- Victoza Claims: As with numerous other injectable drugs, Victoza has been prescribed to Americans with Type 2 diabetes. Unfortunately, recent studies have linked Victoza with serious conditions such as acute pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer.
- Mirena Claims: Some individuals using the Mirena IUD as a method of birth control have suffered serious injuries such as a perforation of the uterine wall, sepsis or pelvic inflammatory disease.
- Lipitor Claims: Women have developed diabetes while taking Lipitor to lower their blood cholesterol. If this has happened to you, you might have a case against Pfizer.
- Granuflo / Naturalyte Claims: Fresenius’ two dialysis products GranuFlo and NaturaLyte, regulated by the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) as medical devices, are acid concentrates used with bicarbonate concentrates in kidney dialysis.
Medical Devices and Dangerous Drugs
Medical device cases are considered under a different body of law. In all these cases, federal preemption may be an issue. It takes a great deal of expertise to understand the nuances and complexities of the interaction between federal and state law in both medical device and pharmaceutical cases. Medical devices fall under different classifications.
The classification of the device may have something to do with the potential liability of the manufacturer.
Some medical devices malfunction, and others are defective. In still other cases where the manufacturer seeks approval of a medical device, misleading or improper information is provided to the approving authorities which may lead to liability. Whether you have been injured by a pharmaceutical or a medical device such as a Stryker Hip Implant you should call our law firm for assistance and direction.