Common Causes of Drug Injuries
Harmful drug injuries are most often caused by:
- Wrong drug — Pharmacists may fill prescriptions with a drug having a similar name or appearance.
- Wrong dosage — Doctors may prescribe incorrect dosages, or pharmacists may instruct the patient to take the wrong amount of a drug for reasons such as poor physician handwriting or confusion over zeros and decimal points.
- Technology Errors — Computers and other technology that help with medication monitoring may have system problems, fail, or have confusing software that leads to user mistakes.
- Incomplete patient information — When medical professionals don’t find out about patients’ allergies, diagnoses and other medicines taken which may cause interactions, the prescribed drug may cause harm.
- Lack of appropriate labeling — When drugs are repackaged into smaller units or dispensed in packaging or vials that look alike, confusion can result.
- Individuals can react differently to drugs that sometimes have dangerous side effects.
Common Drug Injury Cases
Our law firm considers all pharmaceutical, drug-related and medical device cases. Currently our drug litigation lawyers are concentrating on the following dangerous drugs:
- Testosterone: Testosterone replacement therapies such as AndroGel, Axiron, Testim or AndroDerm can potentially be linked to heart attack, stroke and pulmonary embolism.
- Byetta:For millions of Americans with Type 2 diabetes, Byetta is an injectable drug that is prescribed to lower blood glucose levels. Recent studies have linked Byetta to conditions such as pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer.
- Januvia: Commonly prescribed for Type 2 diabetes, Januvia has recently been linked to pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer.
- Victoza: As with numerous other injectable drugs, Victoza has been prescribed to Americans with Type 2 diabetes, but has been linked with acute pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer.
- Mirena:Some individuals using the Mirena IUD as birth control have suffered serious injuries such as a perforation of the uterine wall, sepsis or pelvic inflammatory disease.
- Lipitor:Women have developed diabetes while taking Lipitor to lower their blood cholesterol.
- Granuflo / Naturalyte
Medical device cases are considered under a different body of law and may be subject to federal preemption and interaction between federal and state law.
Medical device claims fall under different classifications. Some devices malfunction, some are defective, and sometimes the manufacturer provides misleading or improper information for approval which may lead to liability. Whether you have been injured by a pharmaceutical or a medical device such as a Stryker Hip Implant, you should call our law firm for assistance and direction.
Types of Cases
Pharmaceutical malpractice occurs when a medical professional or pharmacist does not conform to the standard of care in his or her field. It can also involve product liability claims when manufacturers fail to provide information or even give false or misleading data to federal approving authorities. Claims may be based upon the safety of the drug or medical device, the nature of the warnings on the product, or even the marketing of the drug. Some drug injury lawsuits are brought as individual cases, while others are multi-district cases or class action lawsuits. How a case is handled depends upon the facts of each case and the basis of liability. It takes expertise to understand the nuances and complexities of the interaction between federal and state law in both medical device and pharmaceutical cases.
If You Have Suffered Serious Side Effects or Injuries From Drugs, Our Experienced Pennsylvania Drug Injury Lawyers Can Help
If you or a loved one has suffered damages from drug injuries, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses. Since these cases are complicated, it is essential to have experienced attorneys and legal staff on your side. Based in Williamsport, we serve clients throughout the state of Pennsylvania, offering a free consultation on all personal injury matters. More than that, we offer you experience, knowledge, compassion, and a long history of results.